- Howard University School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Dallas Theological Seminary, Master of Biblical and Theological Studies, courses earned toward completion
- Baylor University, B.A. in Speech Communication, 2009
- State Bar of Texas
- District of Columbia Bar
- Connecticut Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
Harrison M. Smith is counsel at Schmoyer Reinhard LLP. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Smith was an associate at a boutique law firm, serving nonprofit organizations and religious institutions. In addition, he was an associate in the labor and employment and product liability practice groups at a nationally recognized law firm.
- Professional Recognition
- Activities and Affiliations
Mr. Smith’s practice focuses on representation of private employers, nonprofit organizations, and religious institutions in all aspects of labor and employment law and nonprofit law. In his labor and employment practice, Mr. Smith has successfully defended employers before federal and state court and administrative agencies in matters involving Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, Section 1981 and Section 1983, and various state employment laws and regulations. He also has assisted clients in navigating internal investigations, counseling on preventative and non-litigation strategies and activities, negotiating and preparing employment agreements, drafting employee handbooks and personnel policies, crafting governing documents, and conducting compliance training.
Mr. Smith is also a trusted advisor to a diverse group of faith-based organizations and institutional nonprofits, including churches, denominations, parachurch ministries, schools, hospitals and other healthcare organizations, public benefit corporations and social enterprises. Often serving as outside general counsel, Mr. Smith regularly advises clients with the full complement of issues related to nonprofit organizations and religious institutions, including corporate governance matters, tax-exempt status, risk management, internal investigations, labor and employment, succession planning, donation and fundraising matters, regulatory compliance, IRS audits, real estate, construction, contracting, and litigation.
- Named a Top Attorney, Attorneys for Nonprofit Law by 360 West magazine in 2019
- Named a Top Attorney, Nonprofit Law by Fort Worth Magazine in 2021
- Received the Tarrant County Bar Association President’s Award in 2021
- Chair, Tarrant County Bar Association Diversity Committee (2020 – 2022)
- Board of Directors, Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association (2017-18, 2020 – 2022)
- Associate, Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court (2018 – 2020)
- Member, L. Clifford Davis Legal Association
- Advisory Board, The NET FW, Inc. (2019 – present)
- Advisory Board, TCU Fellowship of Christian Athletes (2015 – present)