- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Duke University, B.A., 1976
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Southern, Northern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
(210) 447-8033 phone
(210) 447-8036 fax
John A. Ferguson, Jr. is a partner with Schmoyer Reinhard. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Ferguson was a counsel with the international law firm of Bracewell LLP in the San Antonio office.
- Professional Recognition
- Activities and Affiliations
Mr. Ferguson’s practice concentrates on all aspects of labor and employment law, including traditional labor relations, litigation, arbitration, and counseling. He represents employers in:
- Collective bargaining agreements and negotiations
- Labor arbitrations
- Union representation elections
- Proceedings before the NLRB, EEOC and DOL
- Defense of Fair Labor Standards Act collective actions
- Wage and hour, and Family and Medical Leave Act matters
- Title VII and state law employment discrimination litigation, including state law workers’ compensation retaliatory discharge actions
- Service Contract Act compliance issues for federal government contractors
- Advising management on personnel decisions, policies, and employee handbooks
- Defense and prosecution of LMRA Section 301 actions in federal courts for enforcement of collective bargaining agreements, including to enforce and vacate arbitration awards
- Conducting training programs for managers and supervisors
Mr. Ferguson has over 30 years of experience in traditional labor relations law, especially the National Labor Relations Act. He has tried numerous unfair labor practice complaints to decision before the NLRB, and has represented employers in the appeal of those decisions in federal courts of appeals. He has guided employers through all aspects of the NLRB’s union representation election process. He has also arbitrated to award numerous union grievances before labor arbitrators for private as well as public sector employers. He frequently serves as lead negotiator for employers in the negotiation and renegotiation of collective bargaining agreements.
Mr. Ferguson served as a trial attorney with the National Labor Relations Board’s Houston Resident Office (1981-1986). He also served as a briefing attorney for the Honorable Carlos Cadena, Chief Justice of the Fourth District Court of Appeals for the State of Texas.
- Named by peers for inclusion in the 2008 – 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America©(Woodward/White, Inc.) in the practice areas of Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Selected as a “Top Rated Lawyer” in Labor & Employment Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell in 2013 and 2014
- Rated by his peers with the Martindale-Hubbell “AV Preeminent” rating
- Named one of San Antonio’s best labor and employment lawyers in the area of Employment Litigation Defense by S.A. Scene in 2011 – 2012 and 2015 – 2016
- Member, State Bar of Texas – Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, San Antonio Bar Association
- Board Advisor to Compadres Therapy, Inc.
- Frequent speaker at various labor and employment law conferences