- University of Texas School of Law, J.D. with honors, 2006
- University of Florida, B.A. cum laude, 2003
- State Bar of Texas
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Western Districts of Texas
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
(210) 447-8033 phone
(210) 447-8036 fax
Justin Barbour is partner at Schmoyer Reinhard. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Barbour was an associate in the commercial litigation section of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.
- Professional Recognition
- Activities & Affiliations
Mr. Barbour’s practice includes the representation of employers in all aspects of employment litigation in federal and state courts, as well as in private arbitrations. Mr. Barbour’s litigation experience includes:
- Representation of employers in discrimination and retaliation claims brought under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and related state laws and local ordinances
- Disability accommodation claims brought under the ADA
- Collective action and individual plaintiff wage and hour claims arising under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Retaliation claims brought under the Family and Medical Leave Act
- Whistleblower claims arising under Sarbanes Oxley and Dodd Frank Acts, as well as related federal and state statutes
- Enforcement of non-competition, non-solicitation, and employee confidentiality agreements
- Workers’ compensation retaliation claims
- Claims for breach of contract
- Lawsuits enjoining workplace violence and threatening activities
- Defamation, slander, and business disparagement claims
Mr. Barbour regularly counsels, advises, and provides training to his clients on the foregoing issues, as well as on workplace policy and legal compliance issues. He represents clients of all sizes, including private, publicly held, governmental, quasi-governmental, and non-profit entities.
Mr. Barbour has significant experience in handling administrative claims with governmental agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Department of Labor, and the Texas Workforce Commission. He has also represented employers in traditional labor arbitrations.
Mr. Barbour is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
While in law school, Mr. Barbour was a member of the Texas Journal on Civil Liberties & Civil Rights.
- Named by peers for inclusion in the 2016 and 2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America©(Woodward/White, Inc.)
- Named as one of San Antonio’s “40 Under 40” by the San Antonio Business Journal in 2016
- Named by peers as a Thomson Reuters Texas “Rising Star,” a designation given to 2.5 percent of “the best up‐and‐coming attorneys in the state,” in 2014 – 2016
- Named as one of San Antonio’s best labor and employment lawyers by S.A. Scene magazine in 2009 and 2011 – 2016
- Named as a “Rising Star” in the San Antonio law community by S.A. Scene magazine in 2012 – 2015
- Board Member, Goodwill Industries of San Antonio
- Chair, Human Resources Committee – Goodwill Industries of San Antonio
- Board Member, Goodwill Industries Contract Services of San Antonio
- Chair, Human Resources Committee – Goodwill Industries Contract Services of San Antonio
- Chair, San Antonio Bar Association Litigation Section
- Member, William S. Sessions American Inn of Court
- Member, San Antonio Area Foundation Community Advisory Committee
- Member, Governmental Affairs Committee for the San Antonio Human Resources Association
- Board Member, Fire Museum Society of San Antonio from 2010 – 2011
- Member, Alamo City Gators Club
- Frequent speaker at various labor and employment events and has co-authored several employment law-related papers and articles